We'd like to thank our sponsors for their generous contributions to the success of the BSIC Decentralized Impact Accelerator:
Information for Participants
October 7 - October 27: Your projects are being reviewed by the judges.
See who they are:
Scoring Rubric and Weekly Checkpoints
Scoring Rubric: Please click here to view the scoring rubric that will be used at the conclusion of the hackathon.
Timeline for Project Teams: We've also created a document outlining the ideal timeline for each team to help you measure your progress over the course of the month.
What You are Expected to Demo
- Description of your early stage idea: The challenge of your choice and the overview of your solution.
- Explanation of your proposed business plan / business model: How does your solution create value, what are projected revenue and costs, and what risks need to be accounted for?
- Prototype / Proof-of-concept: Building a prototype or proof-of-concept of your idea is a huge bonus. Remember, this should be a minimum viable product that allows you to test any assumptions that are built into your business model.
- Timeline for sustained development of technology/business: Outline how your project's growth will be managed beyond the scope of the hackathon.
Ethereum Blockchain Resources
The Ethereum blockchain has a robust set of tools and infrastructure that allow decentralized applications (DApps) to be quickly built and iterated on. This makes it a perfect fit for a rapidly paced hackathon exploring new and emerging applications.
Truffle - A development environment, testing framework, and asset pipeline for Ethereum.
- MetaMask - A Chrome browser extension that manages keys and enables web-applications to interact with any ethereum blockchain network.
- INFURA - Provider of remote Ethereum and IPFS nodes.
- Solidity - A popular high-level language used to write smart contracts.
- IPFS - A P2P system that implements a filesystem.
- ethereumjs-wallet - Another alternate implementation of an Ethereum wallet.
- TestRPC - A simulated blockchain for fast testing and iteration.
More Dev Kits to come as we approach the Hackathon.
Please see below for links to each of the challenges across the four areas on which this hackathon is focused. Have fun!
Capital: We are offering a minimum prize of $5,000 to the winner of each challenge. This represents a total cash prize pool of at least $20,000 for the hackathon overall.
Mentorship and training: We will also be providing Business Development Training for all four winning teams, worth over $10k in advisory services.
Visibility: Winners & runners-ups will gain exposure through BSIC channels, coalition members' networks, and more.
Pitch opportunity: Winners & runner-ups will have the opportunity to showcase their solutions in front of impact investors, NGO’s, philanthropists, and charities at the inaugural BSIC conference in November in D.C.
Welcome to the Blockchain for Social Impact Hackathon, a.k.a. the first BSIC Decentralized Impact Accelerator.
Over one billion people in the world do not have an officially recognized identity that qualifies them for services and rights. Even more don’t have access to the financial system.
The Blockchain for Social Impact Coalition (BSIC) was created to address these and other humanitarian use cases. We believe that Blockchain technology allows us to innovate systems and solve issues relating to identity, governance, equality and more.
Between September 7th, 2017 and October 7th, 2017, teams will ideate and prototype solutions. There will be on and offline events throughout followed by a one-day conference in Washington D.C where top teams will pitch their ideas to challenges in the following topics:
- Financial Inclusion
- Supply Chain
- Identity & Vulnerable Populations
- Energy & Environment
How do you want to be involved?
BE A PARTICIPANT
Work in a small team to solve a challenge of your choice. Your goal is to demo a deployable blockchain-based solution.
*Time requirement: At least 4 hrs/ week *
There are many ways to sponsor this Hackathon, from providing a venue for our offline events to contributing to the prize pool for the winners.
BE A MENTOR
Support teams by sharing your business, technical, and subject matter expertise. Learn about blockchain use cases and help teams to better solutions.
This is not a traditional hackathon - we are calling this a “Decentralized Impact Accelerator” because we're challenging teams to create more than just code. The scope of these challenges includes early stage ideas for a product/solution, innovative business models, a timeline for sustained development, and if possible, a prototype, but not continuations of projects that are already beyond the idea phase.
The BSIC Hackathon is more than just a hackathon, it’s being part of a community of like minded people focusing on creating blockchain solutions to solve the world's most pressing problems and finding the support network and contacts to do so. As part of the hackathon, we'll be providing support from industry-leading developers and experts to support you in your projects.
Remember - this isn't a hackathon for one-off ideas, we are looking to lay the groundwork for early stage project that deserve funding towards becoming real world deployable solutions.
In-Person Events To Be Announced
While the hackathon will be conducted virtually, we will be hosting localized events for teams, mentors, and BSIC members to collaborate in-person.
As of right now we are looking at hosting events in the following locations:
More to Come!!